Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tuesday Report

Flushed from our 2-0 day yesterday, I didn't even mind (much) getting up at 3:30 in the morning. Hell, if justice comes one day sooner because I get up at 3:30 in the morning, I'll do it for a year. I had no idea where we were going. Unless you're one of the elite few, you never know, although experiences people have a guess or two as we march familiar routes. But in my 15 years of involvement with ADAPT, we've never marched to the Hilton Washington, but we did today because Speaker Pelosi was there. We wanted to ask her why she didn't support the Community Choice Act (CCA). Apparently, there was even a group of women with disabilities who wanted to especially try to meet with her because she has always said that she is for women's issues, but not co-sponsoring the CCA helps neither disabled women or women who are caregivers. It leaves both groups high and dry. For myself, I thought Nancy was going to be a better speaker than she is turning out to be. I am disappointed as I'm sure most of my gender is in her performance thus far and not just on this issue.

We began the day at 1t 5:30am, hoping we could intercept Nancy en route to speaking at the American Hospital Association annual conference. But according to reports I have gotten, I wasn't in the area to see the Speaker, so I can't swear that it happened. Pelosi fled when she saw ADAPT assembled outside the Hilton to meet her. May I ask what the Speaker of the House who has armed protection 24 hours a day has to fear from 500+ non-violent mostly disabled protesters. I've been an ADAPT for almost as long as I've been an adult. We are no threat to anybody.

Sam Donaldson came to the event as well. He was much more helpful than Nancy. He seemed interested in what we had to say and even gave us Speaker Pelosi's office number. Not that I'm telling you what to do, but should you want to contact Pelosi to inquire as to why she ran away from non-violent protesters who were merely inquiring into her reasoning and decision-making, feel free to do so. Here is the number 202.225.4965. If you call, thank you in advance.

I'm glad that all we're doing tomorrow is going to Capitol hill and having a press conference and meeting. I honestly don't think my poor body could handle a 3:30am wake-up. Although, as I've said I will if I have to. I'm looking forward as always to the party which commemorates the end of of every action. But I'm said that I'll be going back home to Massachusetts where I have no one to discuss this work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment